Measure twice, cut once, have zero stress. Two out of three ain't bad.
------------------------------
4. INSPIRATION
I dare not jump into the overwhelming sea of MLP fan creations. There's so much of it out there - either good, bad, ugly, or thought-provoking - that I wouldn't know where to start to find interesting takes on Rarity. If there's any notable writer whom can write her well or has interesting ideas for her, I will gladly glean ideas from them.
------------------------
5. FUTURE PLANS
*I have come up with a short story idea which will explore a headcanon I have based on her and her connection to puppets. I don't have any details on this yet, other than she might interact with them via The Nutcracker or some example like that.
*She'll be part of a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic crossover universe that I created years ago, but plan on revamping. She wouldn't play a main part, but she would interact with various characters from the BLoSC world.
*I'm debating back and forth on whether to create my own take on the MLP universe, but if I go forward with it, she would be part of the cast. I've already worked out one vital bit of her family history, which is highlighted below.
*Ixnay on Questria Girls Eay.
*I'm tempted to write a one-shot where she's working on a project and wacky antics happen. It would be based on this comic strip by Jennifer Lopez (not the singer).
*She'll be part of a Buzz Lightyear of Star Command/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic crossover universe that I created years ago, but plan on revamping. She wouldn't play a main part, but she would interact with various characters from the BLoSC world.
*I'm debating back and forth on whether to create my own take on the MLP universe, but if I go forward with it, she would be part of the cast. I've already worked out one vital bit of her family history, which is highlighted below.
*Ixnay on Questria Girls Eay.
*I'm tempted to write a one-shot where she's working on a project and wacky antics happen. It would be based on this comic strip by Jennifer Lopez (not the singer).
--------------------------
6. HEADCANONS
*She has some Earth Pony blood in her. Before we discovered her unicorn dad's horn was hidden underneath his large hat in "Sisterhooves Social", I assumed he was an EP. But I still headcanon she has some Earth Pony in her, due to her physical strength and tendency to want to use her hooves first instead of her horn. She's strong enough to move boulders and take down manticores with her own hooves. Plus, her talent for finding gems in the earth? Sounds very earthy to me.
*Since she was young, she has enjoyed classic and shadow puppetry. We've seen her make shadow puppets and build puppet theaters, so why not take this a step farther by saying it was something she has loved from foalhood? This is where the short story would come into play - no pun intended.
*Her paternal grandmother taught her to speak with a Mid-Atlantic accent. It would explain where she learned to speak the way she does and help build up her familial background. Which on that note, Glory, one of the G1 ponies on which she was based off of (according to Lauren Faust), is her grandmother.
*Out of the Mane Six, she's the oldest out of everyone. I always got that impression based on her mannerisms and the fact she runs a business which requires a steady hand and level-headedness to keep it going. In addition, she's usually able to catch on quick when she has acted out of line and, as stated before, is the most empathetic of all the ponies.
*She has degrees in business and fashion design. Also, she worked her way up in fashion design through creating costumes for many plays, and because of that - and her education - she has garnered many contacts in the theatre industry, mainly costume and production designers and playwrights.
*Since she was young, she has enjoyed classic and shadow puppetry. We've seen her make shadow puppets and build puppet theaters, so why not take this a step farther by saying it was something she has loved from foalhood? This is where the short story would come into play - no pun intended.
*Her paternal grandmother taught her to speak with a Mid-Atlantic accent. It would explain where she learned to speak the way she does and help build up her familial background. Which on that note, Glory, one of the G1 ponies on which she was based off of (according to Lauren Faust), is her grandmother.
*Out of the Mane Six, she's the oldest out of everyone. I always got that impression based on her mannerisms and the fact she runs a business which requires a steady hand and level-headedness to keep it going. In addition, she's usually able to catch on quick when she has acted out of line and, as stated before, is the most empathetic of all the ponies.
*She has degrees in business and fashion design. Also, she worked her way up in fashion design through creating costumes for many plays, and because of that - and her education - she has garnered many contacts in the theatre industry, mainly costume and production designers and playwrights.
*She wears real eyelashes, despite what 'MMMystery on the Friendship Express' says.
*She's not fond of crabs. It comes from that strange 'Rarity vs. Crab' meme that came out years ago. I think it's silly, but if it means fleshing her out, I will go for it.
*She's not fond of crabs. It comes from that strange 'Rarity vs. Crab' meme that came out years ago. I think it's silly, but if it means fleshing her out, I will go for it.
*We've never seen her drink wine, but I headcanon it's a drink she likes to indulge in from time to time. She prefers red wine.
*In the show, she seemed to be enhancing her skills in other fields of artistry and design, so she's become a Renaissance pony in the art world by the end of the show. Because of her endless talents, she has created quite the creative empire. Fashion is her main love, of course, but as we've seen, she's taken on puppet theatre designs, interior decorating and topiary/gardening. She even has boutiques where clothing and accessories are not only sold, but so are all things puppets, interior decorating and gardening. With her head for business, she has gone down in pony history!
*She went through a temporary phase where she was a metalhead. Needed to throw in a reason how she can belt out a metal piece on a guitar (even though that scene was ridiculous in terms of animation, but I am not here to gripe about the show's quality.) Also, she has interacted with a number of ponies who embraced different lifestyles, like the goths, the punks, metal-heads, mod rockers... it would explain why she would gladly invite them to place their own brands of clothing into her boutique, going back to 'Honest Apple'. To paraphrase Grace from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, they think she's a righteous pony.
*Her family originally came from Foaledo (from the comics), which is the equivalent of Toledo, Ohio. Yes, it's not a really clever pun, and I would like to change it, but it serves its purpose in explaining their Midwest-ish roots before coming to Ponyville.
*In the show, she seemed to be enhancing her skills in other fields of artistry and design, so she's become a Renaissance pony in the art world by the end of the show. Because of her endless talents, she has created quite the creative empire. Fashion is her main love, of course, but as we've seen, she's taken on puppet theatre designs, interior decorating and topiary/gardening. She even has boutiques where clothing and accessories are not only sold, but so are all things puppets, interior decorating and gardening. With her head for business, she has gone down in pony history!
*She went through a temporary phase where she was a metalhead. Needed to throw in a reason how she can belt out a metal piece on a guitar (even though that scene was ridiculous in terms of animation, but I am not here to gripe about the show's quality.) Also, she has interacted with a number of ponies who embraced different lifestyles, like the goths, the punks, metal-heads, mod rockers... it would explain why she would gladly invite them to place their own brands of clothing into her boutique, going back to 'Honest Apple'. To paraphrase Grace from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, they think she's a righteous pony.
*Her family originally came from Foaledo (from the comics), which is the equivalent of Toledo, Ohio. Yes, it's not a really clever pun, and I would like to change it, but it serves its purpose in explaining their Midwest-ish roots before coming to Ponyville.
--------------------------
7. PERSONAL
Femininity is worth celebrating, and Rarity is a good example of it. She loves to create and celebrate all things beautiful through clothing and other artistic ventures. All of these things can bring color and life to our sometimes cruel, grey and lifeless world. Despite what someone on TV Tropes may say about her less-than-admirable attributes, she does learn to overcome them and she becomes a stronger pony for it. Isn't that the point for cheering these characters on? So that they can become stronger and better characters, and we can learn a thing or two on how to overcome our own shortcomings?
She shows that one) there's more than one way to celebrate what and who you are, and how to bring that into the world and two) generosity can come from the least likely place. And again, the Old Hollywood star quality is something rare to behold in today's modern age, but thinking about it, it's what makes her shine, and be, well, rarer, than a diamond. So to Rarity, here's to you!
*Also, this is going to sound really weird to say due to her coming from a children's show, but she did play a small part in inspiring me to start creating clothing and/or fabric-made pieces of my own. Not so much in designing them (although that has crossed my mind), but in just creating things based on patterns and from whatever my brain comes up with and what have you. Then again, considering she's an artist, perhaps it's not that far-fetched considering my own artistic taste and the creator of FIM is an artist herself haha.
*Even though I'm not as much of a fan of FIM as I was when it first came out, due to my interests changing and the show losing some of its quality over the years, Rarity still remains a consistently fun character to watch. I think she's one of the few characters who, while she didn't completely escape getting screwed over due to the show's writing, got off better than others. Compared to Twilight did when she inherited the throne, anyway. (Note: it's not that I despise this plot development but the way it was handled in the end came off as clumsy and I'm not a fan of it.)
Moreover, she deserves a lot more recognition for her character. She is beloved, yes, and I am happy to see that, but it's due more to her drama queen persona than her elegant ladylike grace. Don't get me wrong, her flair for the dramatic can be funny (even more so when we see she has a connection to the dramatic arts). Shoot, she can also be fairly snarky, I've noticed, and she has quite the sharp zingers. It's just sometimes it seems that's all some folks see of her, which is unfair.
Femininity is worth celebrating, and Rarity is a good example of it. She loves to create and celebrate all things beautiful through clothing and other artistic ventures. All of these things can bring color and life to our sometimes cruel, grey and lifeless world. Despite what someone on TV Tropes may say about her less-than-admirable attributes, she does learn to overcome them and she becomes a stronger pony for it. Isn't that the point for cheering these characters on? So that they can become stronger and better characters, and we can learn a thing or two on how to overcome our own shortcomings?
She shows that one) there's more than one way to celebrate what and who you are, and how to bring that into the world and two) generosity can come from the least likely place. And again, the Old Hollywood star quality is something rare to behold in today's modern age, but thinking about it, it's what makes her shine, and be, well, rarer, than a diamond. So to Rarity, here's to you!
*Also, this is going to sound really weird to say due to her coming from a children's show, but she did play a small part in inspiring me to start creating clothing and/or fabric-made pieces of my own. Not so much in designing them (although that has crossed my mind), but in just creating things based on patterns and from whatever my brain comes up with and what have you. Then again, considering she's an artist, perhaps it's not that far-fetched considering my own artistic taste and the creator of FIM is an artist herself haha.
*Songs: "Art of the Dress" "Rules for Rarity (Reprise 2)", "Becoming Popular" "Generosity", and "Life is a Runway". That was really easy lol. Special note: even though Equestria Girls is not my favorite thing (and the fanbase... uh... can go way way off base) I do like some of the songs, including the last song on this list.
Now I'm going to listen to these songs because, in the words of the Element of Generosity....
Wanderer out!

No comments:
Post a Comment